Young Artists Competition
The Young Artists Competition promotes excellence through competition in the field of music performance. The competition is open to classical instrumentalists who are residents of either Westmoreland or Fayette County or take private music lessons in either of those two counties and have not yet graduated from high school. Participants compete for performance opportunities as determined by a three-judge panel. Cash prizes will be awarded as determined by the judges.
January 11, 2019—Application and audio recording due in the WSO office. Late entries will not be accepted. If sending by mail, send application early.
February 3, 2019— Finals begin at 11 a.m.
February 10, 2019 —Winners’ Recital at 3 p.m.
Download an Application Packet
- Applicants must perform a minimum of two contrasting pieces representing different periods of classical repertoire, highlighting both lyricism and facility.
- Performing from memory is required for pianists and encouraged for others.
- Contestants choosing to perform accompanied works must provide their own accompanist for the recorded and live auditions. If chosen to perform, winner must use the same accompanist for live audition and recital.*
- NEW! Audition tape/CD/MP3 (no videos allowed) must include the entire program that applicant plans to perform in the live audition.
- Finalists must provide three copies of their music (one for each judge), with measure numbers listed at the beginning of each line. This includes full scores for instrumentalists.
Congrats to the 2018 Winners!
Press: Tribune Review: Westmoreland Symphony’s young artist competition winners to perform on Feb. 11
Level I – up to Grade 9
1st place – Evelyn Markle – flute (Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School, teacher – Michele Boulet)
2nd place – Audrey Lawrence – flute (Plum SHS, teacher – Dan Parasky)
1st place – Hanna Yan (Franklin Regional HS, teacher – Tatyana Gelman)
2nd place – Max Wang (Franklin Regional HS, teacher – Tatyana Gelman)
3rd place – Hannah Zheng (Franklin Regional MS, teacher – Tatyana Gelman)
Honorable Mention – David An (Greater Latrobe HS, teacher Edward Kuhn, Jr.)
Level II – Grades 10-12
1st place – Andrew Chung – violin (Greensburg Salem HS, teacher – Hong-Guang Jia)
2nd place – Emma Jones – flute (Hempfield Area HS, teacher – Michele Boulet)
3rd place tie – Colton Dietz – trombone (Norwin HS, teacher – Kevin McManus)
3rd place tie – Clare McCarthy – flute (Franklin Regional HS, teacher – Dan Parasky)
Honorable Mention – Lauren DeLuca – flute (Franklin Regional HS, teacher – Dan Parasky)
Honorable Mention – Ami Shaw – flute (Franklin Regional HS, teacher – Dan Parasky)
1st place – Carol Chen (Greensburg Central Catholic HS, teacher – Edward Kuhn, Jr.)
2nd place –Joel Montgomery (Pittsburgh homeschooler, teacher – Jacqueline Herbein)